Woolmer Forest Heritage Society

The early history of Bordon town in the Parish of Whitehill in Hampshire

Early Days in Bordon

Frisby's newly built shoe shop opened in 1907



The building next to the Frisby block was W H Smith which moved from Chalet Hill 1908


(W.H. Smiths)

The Chalet, which gave its name to Chalet Hill burnt down in 1906, allowing Phillips Bros store

(The Chalet)

Walsey Fishmongers & Butcher's shop with delivery Bike in 1907 was where Gellhorns Solicitors Is now.

(the Shop)

International Stores (Liptons) was where Domino's Pizza shop Is now.

(International Stores)

Phillips Bros Stores moved up the hill to the corner of Lynton Road in 1906

(Philip Bros)

Patterson's a clothes shop was where Strudwick Estate Agent's is now, with Stoneman's next door.


This portion of Chalet Hill was developed behind Phillips Bros and included W H Smith in 1907.

Lyndhurst Cottage on the corner of Forest Road was the home of the Blundy's in 1911 when Sophia Blundy died.

(Lyndhurst Cottage)

After Phillips Bros moved up Chalet Hill, the building Became the Bordon Working Men's Club

(Working Mens Club)

Tinker Blundell visited the Bordon Working Men's Club to sharpen knives & give his donkey a pint.

(Mr Blundel)

The Phillips Bros opened a shop on the corner of Forest Road to cater for the new camp being built in Bordon 1903. .